this is a bit of a love letter for all the fabulous nerds out there. to all of you who love office supplies. who have a very particular pen preference. who own a daytimer. i am talking, old school, pen to paper, calendar pages daytimer [or filofax, if you are rollin' swanky like me]. who believe that only college ruled paper will do. who put everything in binders. who highlight. who make checklists to maintain sanity. who collect post-it notes.
this post is for you.
for those of you who believe that organization is truly a form of art, i give you a vibrant post-it installation. a work of art inspired by the ultimate staple of organization, the post-it note. a badge of honor for to-do-listers everywhere. this piece of art is for you. because, you appreciate it, in all its color-coded, remarkably constructed glory. from one nerd to another.
ahhh…a fresh month. i am going to take this opportunity to read real simple cover to cover and actually use some of those fabulous ideas. the pages of this magazine are filled with simple wonders. very doable ideas and tips that i just need to do. i always pick it up and pick through the pages thinking “wow, neat idea” or “hmmm…i should really remember that for next time…” well, the time is now for those neat ideas. it’s happening folks.
this is going to be a month of progress.
of getting better.
of getting stuff done.
of marching forward.
of carpe diem.
in fact, i am going to carpe this entire mensis.
[cute vivaldi-esque musical overture]
and now, it is time once again for contemplations of mr. charles with mr. charles winston squigglebottom whitehouse.
‘ello there gals and gents and a very ‘appy new year! thank you for joining me today. i have been pondering life as i prepare for a new year. and as such, i have decided to make some resolutions.
i thought, at first, that i would just use the resolutions of jonathan edwards since mom & dad seem to be fans…
- Resolved, that I will do whatsoever I think to be most to God’s glory, and my own good, profit and pleasure, in the whole of my duration, without any consideration of the time, whether now, or never so many myriad’s of ages hence. Resolved to do whatever I think to be my duty and most for the good and advantage of mankind in general. Resolved to do this, whatever difficulties I meet with, how many and how great soever.
- Resolved, to be continually endeavoring to find out some new invention and contrivance to promote the aforementioned things.
- Resolved, if ever I shall fall and grow dull, so as to neglect to keep any part of these Resolutions, to repent of all I can remember, when I come to myself again.
- Resolved, never to do any manner of thing, whether in soul or body, less or more, but what tends to the glory of God; nor be, nor suffer it, if I can avoid it.
- Resolved, never to lose one moment of time; but improve it the most profitable way I possibly can.
- Resolved, to live with all my might, while I do live.
however, while they are remarkable resolutions [and things that mom & dad are going to diligently pursue] there are way more than six of them so this post would be a bittoo lengthy. so, i decided to jot down a few of my own [mom helped with the jotting]
- eat more food and put on some weight
- don’t roll my eyes as much
- try not to grumble and stomp my little paws
- sit on dad’s lap more [so that he doesn't think that i like mom more...even though i kinda do]
- play with my sister more [and by "play" i cannot mean "inappropriate frolicking" with my sister. mom doesn't approve]
- wear more clothes. i look good in them.
- try to not get all crazy eyed and leap-y when mom & dad are cooking in the kitchen, especially chicken…
- share my bones. i don’t always have to be the winner.
well, that should get me off to a good start. i promise to post my progress throughout the year. here’s to a stupendous 2012!
as you might have noticed from pictures of our home, we are old-fashioned at heart. we decorate with leather-bound, gold-embossed books, musical do-dads, and art. i married into a very artistic and musical family. [the whitehouses, as a bunch, are quite superb: artists, pianists, cellists, violinists, singers, dancers, and even the occasional plucking and strumming of the mandolin] our home is filled with sounds of classical music and our walls are filled with incredible artwork from artists that we are blessed to be related to and friends with. this fanciful world of music and art has long been fascinating to me. i have always gazed and wondered from afar. what an interesting and refined existence, i observed.
now that i am a whitehouse, i get to observe it all up close. i don’t really participate in it much but i can sit back and drink it all in. and, i like to think that i add a bit of effervescence with my own little quirks and giftings. i’m sure they get a kick out of the girl who can’t read music and was raised on lionel richie. the ridley family is a little bit like the cosby family. lots of life lessons and laughter and jazz. and yes, obnoxious sweaters included. it was a pretty great way to grow up, but it is fun to be a part of this brave new world [hope you caught the nerdy music reference]
hubby and I are so blessed to have an artist in the family. my mom-in-law is a gifted artist. that means that our walls are never bare. each and every space has been given a special piece of art to display. [how posh are we?]
take a look at just a few of her pieces of art:
if you want to see more, check out her blog: http://amywhitehousepaintings.blogspot.com/
if you are interesting in purchasing her pieces OR if you are in the phoenix, az area and are looking for private art lessons [or piano lessons, for that matter. that's right. she does it all] just send her an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
have i mentioned that i am quite interested, nay, obsessed with pinterest? it is just the most fantastically nerdy and creative thing in the world. come one…an online pinboard where you can organize and share things? genius. i wish i thought of it first. i mean, i have been creating dream boards and dream books since i was four. and i love to organize! oh well, at least someone smart came up with it so we can all waste hours and hours looking at the best ideas ever!
please become obsessed like me. i don’t want to be the only crazy.